Saturday, July 25, 2009

'Is your iPod unpatriotic?'

That's an irrelevant question if you're a Canadian like I am (and obviously I have a bias as well given the line of work I'm in). I think the only mass consumer good that I can think of that is made here (and not even remotely in its entirety) is the Blackberry. Canadians have been far more tolerant with trade given how much we depend on it, but that's not to say that we haven't made some bizarre moves recently to stifle trade.

If you want to advertise your economic stupidity you can buy a bumper sticker (that seems to be increasingly popular even in Canada) that goes something along the lines of 'Out of a Job Yet? Keep Buying Foreign!'. The reality is somewhat different. Watch the video from Reason.tv that points out that the iPod is made in dozens of countries with many supposedly American and Canadian products only assembled here.

No comments: