Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Demographic Inversion"

An interesting trend to watch (The New Republic):

For one thing, the deindustrialization of the central city, for all the tragic human dislocations it caused, has eliminated many of the things that made affluent people want to move away from it.
I'm pretty sure I don't agree with the author's take on the implications of what's happening - nor the idea that America's cities are turning more European and all (the largely negative things) that entails. And while I'm not sure that a world of concrete is the best place to build a family, the one thing I do miss about NYC is the conveniences of the city. While not nearly as 24/7 as I would have liked, given my generally odd hours it is considerably better than the other places where I've lived. With broadband anywhere, anytime and on demand, it's obviously going to matter less where you (and/or your business) are which I think will also lead to a revival of rural communities.

No comments: