Sunday, April 22, 2007

More on Records and Movies

In looking for a decent place to eat other than McDonald's, I stumbled into a small CD and DVD store. I may have been a bit premature in thinking that labels and studios being entirely out of touch. I bought a legit copy of Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite movies, for my co-workers for a grand total of 30 RMB. New DVD releases were being sold for 45 RMB, while CD's were from 20-45 RMB (you can pick up the Backstreet Boys 4 CD set - again, for legit copies - for a grand total of 45 RMB - about 6 bucks USD; though in this case, I can't say that the price was sufficiently attractive).

If it weren't for the fact that I can't watch the DVD cuz they're not Region 1's (which is such a scam) I'd be buying the real thing instead of the stuff on the streets which are hit and miss at best. It's a lesson they might learn for North America as well - and while they would sacrifice higher profits per unit, it'd be a bold move that, who knows, might more than exceed expectations in volume.

No comments: